John Ennis is an Economic Development Officer at Edmonton Economic Development Corporation (EEDC). He joined EEDC in 2010, and prior to that, had enjoyed a career in marketing and sales with Ford of Canada, TELUS, Bell Canada, and Motorola Canada.
John was born and grew up in Edmonton, and has a desire to see Edmontonians embrace all that is unique in Edmonton, its neighborhoods and main streets, and pursue what is possible by building a future together. He is leading an initiative that supports the role that local independent business plays in Edmonton and region.
- The Edmonton Festival City in a Box program contributes to the sustainability of the arts and culture community by paying artists to perform at hundreds of events. This funding helps to sustain home-grown talent and showcase Edmonton's rich and diverse artists to locals and visitors alike.
- Homeless Connect brings together 65 community organizations for a biannual event at the conference center with more than 1,700 homeless people provided with free essential services. This includes hot meals, laundry, immunizations, dentistry and much more.
- Edmonton Filmed Entertainment Fund was launched in March of 2012. The Edmonton Filmed Entertainment Fund invests $10 million in film and television projects made in and around Edmonton. The fund helps raise awareness of Edmonton, adds to the city’s quality of life and creativity, and enhances the city’s reputation as an industry-friendly filming destination.
- Local Design Charrette was hosted by the EEDC Quality of Life team in August 2012 where 50 community leaders discussed ways in which small and medium-sized local independent businesses can contribute to enhancing the local economy and quality of life in Edmonton as well as co-created fundamentally new actions.
- Labour Campaign was conducted on a local and international level to focus on increasing awareness of opportunities available in Alberta.
- Recognizing Outstanding Organizations and People in Housing (ROOPH) Award, 2012
- Economic Developers Association of Canada (EDAC) Award
- Intelegia Award, Canadian American Cities Online Marketing Index.
- "Live local" - Edmonton Global News, November 2012